Please note: Due to COVID-19 the audiology department is strictly open for appointments only. You must not come in to the department to book an appointment or collect batteries.
If you are having difficulties with your hearing aid(s) please see our 'useful resources' section below. If you require further assistance, we are temporarily providing a drop off and collection service as well as being able to post tubes. To request this please contact us on 01634 825041 or email@example.com leaving your name, date of birth and telephone number.
PLEASE DO NOT GO TO YOUR GP OR HEALTH CENTRES FOR BATTERIES.
For batteries send a stamped addressed envelope to:
Medway Maritime Foundation Trust
Batteries can be purchased online or any supermarket/pharmacy.
UPDATE: 30 April 2020 - Alternative service available at some of our local supermarkets
The Audiology Department at Medway Maritime Hospital is delighted to offer an alternative service with the generous assistance some of our local supermarkets.
Medway NHS Foundation Trust adult hearing aid users can drop off their hearing aids that are not working or faulty at the following supermarkets:
- Asda Strood - Customer Services
- Sainsbury’s Hempstead Valley - Customer Services
- Tesco Rainham - Customer Services
- Asda Gravesend - Opticians
You can also drop them off at the Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital.
Please place your aid in an envelope with your full contact details; name, address, phone number and email address.
Audiology staff will collect on a Monday and return to the store for your collection on the following Monday.
Patients requiring batteries should send a stamped addressed envelope directly to the audiology department.
A big thank you to our local supermarkets for their support.
About our Audiology Service
Our Adult Audiology department performs diagnostic assessments and rehabilitation for patients with hearing difficulties, tinnitus and balance problems.
Although we are based at Medway Maritime Hospital we cover a wide area and also have clinics at the following hospitals:
- Darent Valley Hospital
- Gravesend Community Hospital
- Sheppey Community Hospital (ENT Clinic cover only)
- Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital
Audiology referrals for all clinics need to be sent to Medway Maritime Hospital via email or post.
As well as performing hearing aid assessments and reassessments at GP request, the following diagnostic tests are available following referrals from ENT:
- Pure Tone Audiometry
- Uncomfortable Loudness Level Testing
- Otoacoustic emissions
- Acoustic Reflex testing
- Speech Audiometry
- Auditory Processing assessments
- Tinnitus Assessments
- Videonystagmography (ENG)
- Caloric Testing
- Auditory Brainstem Response testing
- Visual Reinforcement Audiometry
- Play Audiometry
- Bone anchored hearing aid assessments
Some of the above tests can only be performed at Medway Maritime Hospital.
Rehabilitation that we offer:
- Conventional behind the ear hearing aids
- Open Fit behind the ear hearing aids
- Contralateral Routing of Signal (CROS / BiCROS) hearing aids
- Bone Anchored Hearing Aids
- Noise Generators
- Hearing Therapy (For Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, auditory processing disorders and complex hearing losses)
Audiology clinics run from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Please note: Due to COVID-19 some appointments are temporarily on hold.
The audiology team consists of:
- Head of Audiology
- Clinical Chief Audiologist
- Hearing Therapist
- Senior Audiologists
- Associate Audiology Practitioners
- Senior Assistant Audiologists
- Assistant Audiologist
- Audiology Co-ordinator
‘How to’ videos
- How to put in your hearing aid (mould)
- How to remove your hearing aid (mould)
- How to clean the life tube on your hearing aid
Other useful information